Springerville

Arizona

418 E Main Street, Springerville, AZ 85938

Parks Trails Monuments

White Mountain Historical Park

The park contains buildings restored by the White Mountain Historical Society. They preserve early settler, Hispanic, & Native American cultures, along with farming, forestry and ranching heritage.

  • Diamond Rock Cabin - An early cabin from the Diamond Rock Lodge which operated on the Black River in the White Mountains during the 1920's, 30's and 40's. These rustic cabins were popular with tourists who came over dirt roads developed by ranchers and merchants.
  • Saffel Home - A tin-sided log and adobe house which was home to Springerville hotel and saloonkeeper Sam Saffell and his family.
  • Clay Hunter Home - A sheepherder's camp wagon which was home for sixty years to mountain man Clay Hunter.
  • Becker Granary - This building was next to the Becker Brothers store beside the Little Colorado River. It housed one-hundred pound sacks of grain to be sold to local farmers or taken in payment from them for items purchased in the general merchandise store.
  • U.S. Forest Service Ranger Station - This early day US Forest Service ranger station was relocated from Pat Knoll in the mountains in 1998. Its original stone chimney still stands at its original site. The cabin dates from 1913 and has one-foot thick log walls. The resident ranger made $50 a month.

Madonna of the Trail

Is a series of 12 monuments dedicated to the spirit of pioneer women in the United States. The monuments were commissioned by the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR). They were installed in each of the 12 states along the National Old Trails Road, which extended from Cumberland, Maryland, to Upland, California.

Created by sculptor August Leimbach and funded by contributions, the Madonna of the Trail monuments were intended to provide a symbol of the courage and faith of the women whose strength and love aided so greatly in conquering the wilderness and establishing permanent homes. Dedicated in 1928 and 1929, the twelve statues became sources of local pride. Through the continuing efforts of local and national groups, all are currently in good condition and on display.

Trails

The Indian Springs Trail is a wide, gravel path that loops through a portion of the Apache and Sitgreaves National Forests. Beginning in a meadow, the trail quickly enters a dense forest of pine and fir trees. Portions of the trail run on a former roadbed, while others use the Apache Railway Company's former Maverick Line, which hauled logs to a mill in McNary in the mid-20th century.

The Railroad Grade Trail follows a historic railroad corridor, offering gentle climbs and stunning views. The railroad formerly hauled logs from various parts of the Apache National Forest and Fort Apache Indian Reservation and later hauled tourists from McNary on a tour of the White Mountains.